Is there anything better than fresh caprese in the summer? The sunshine-filled tomatoes almost melt into the fresh mozzarella, while the basil gives it that distinct summer punch. It’s the quintessential summer dish that is oh so missed during the long winter months.
Look, tomatoes outside of summer can be pretty, um, bland. Roasted up with some olive oil, garlic, oregano, dab of honey, salt & pepper? Well, you’ve got yourself some pretty darn good flavors going on.
Toss the whole tray of roasted tomatoes, juices included, with some fresh pasta, mozzarella, and basil, and what you’re left with is this roasted caprese pasta salad, a very pretty and delicious meal. Huge bonus that can be enjoyed in the dead of winter… or summer!
- 1 pound red and/or yellow grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- TBS honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 16 ounce package dried rotini pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls or cubed fresh mozzarella (cut into smaller chunks if preferred)
- 1/2 cup basil, torn
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange tomato halves, cut sides up, in a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic, and salt; drizzle with the 1/4 cup olive oil. Roast tomatoes, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown and shriveled. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl whisk together the 1/3 cup olive oil, the vinegar, and pepper. Add warm pasta to bowl; toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and any drippings from the pan, the mozzarella, and basil to the pasta. Toss while warm to combine. Top with salt & pepper. Serve at room temperature.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
This is quite possibly all of my favorite things in one bowl…except for the wine, that will have to go on the side 🙂 Looks amazing!
That looks delicious Courtney! Screams spring – hopefully the storms won’t be too bad tonight, but I am loving the warmer weather!
Biz recently posted…There was an onion in my house.
OMG!!! I love caprese everything. This sounds divine! Pinned, Can’t wait to make with my own home grown tomatoes!
Malia @ Small Town Girl recently posted…Fun with Annual Flowers
Yum! Caprese salad is a favorite at our house, I’m anxious to try this version!
Kimm at Reinvented recently posted…Switch Up Graphic Wall Plaques
This is a delicious pasta salad, I love roasting the tomatoes. Thanks so much for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday party this weekend. Will pin/share. We look forward to seeing you again soon with another delicious recipe.
A FFF Co-Host,
Joanne/Winelady cooks recently posted…Foodie Friends Friday Party 143
Hi there! Visiting from Inspire Me Monday. This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!
Ashley recently posted…Freebie Friday: Printable Paper Bows
That looks fabulous… I love anything caprese! Just visiting from You’re Going to Love it Tuesday. 🙂
This looks and sound wonderful. I bet roasting the tomatoes really does help give them flavor when they aren’t peak season tomatoes. I was looking for a side for a luncheon I’m throwing, and this just may be it!!
Carlee @cookingwithcarlee recently posted…TBT – Cracker Jax’s First Birthday Party
This looks so yummy! Definitely going to try it! Found you at Think and Make Thursday.
Sarah recently posted…Raspberry Swirl Meringues
This looks DELICIOUS! I love caprese salad. Can’t wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing at Something To Talk About Link Party!
This looks super yummy, Courtney! I LOVE Caprese!
Thank you so much for sharing this at the Brag About It Link Party on VMG206.
~ Megin of VMG206
Megin recently posted…Brag About It | VMG206
Thank you for linking up with Idea Box!
Cyndee recently posted…Idea Box Link Party #7
This recipe sounds so delicious! I love pasta, so I’m definitely going to try this one! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Inspire Me Mondays!
Brandi Clevinger recently posted…Fibro Friday 25 at FBD
I’ve been roasting our garden tomatoes for marinara sauce, but this looks good too. I’ll be trying it for sure. Found you through Reasons to Skip the Housework.
Lovely post, Courtney! I had no idea all the roasted ingredients within a pasta salad could liven up my tastebuds so well. I personally don’t like the smell of vinegar so I substituted it with lime juice.
Julia recently posted…Find Out More About Spaetzle