I don’t know about you, but I’ve completely fallen for late summer cooking.
I am totally smitten with it.
The fresh tomatoes. The sweet basil, highlighted in so many of my recent recipes, and rightfully so. I can’t get enough. I want to make this one, and this one, over and over again until every last sun drenched tomato is used.
Then this roasted tomato bake recipe crossed my path. Passed along by my mom, who had spoken of nothing else for a few days, and I knew I had to give it a try.
Like always, she was dead on. The tomatoes and mini onions blister into pure caramelized perfection. The potatoes, browned at the edges, are buttery soft on the inside. I added whole cloves of garlic, which might just be the best thing to be roasted, ever. A fresh bite from the basil and some staying power with the cannelini beans – this really could be a one dinner dish, no meat required.
(Grilled chicken on the side never hurts though.)
Get this roasting away in your oven while you can. We’re deep into August, friends, and I don’t even want to think what is around the corner. For now it’s summer, sun, and this sweet & sticky recipe.
- 2 bags mini pearl onions
- 2 pints large cherry tomatoes
- 2 lbs mini yukon gold potatoes, or new potatoes
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated but still peeled
- sea salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- large bunch fresh basil
- Put the mini onions in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. This will make peeling them easier.
- Throw the peeled onions into a large roasting pan. Add tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, a generous about of salt & pepper, and the pinch of red pepper flakes. Pour over the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Into the oven it goes for 1 hours. Gently shake the pan every 15 minutes or so, if you can, so things roast evenly.
- After an hour, add the drained beans and some whole basil leaves. Roast for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the onion, topped with some more fresh basil and serve immediately.
- Tip from my mom - she fried up the leftovers with an egg the next morning. Genius!
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017