This recipe goes back. Way back. I’m not sure I was even 21 when I began making this for M. We were still dating and I saw Rachael Ray make it on the Food Network. I remember innocently thinking ‘hmm, that could be good.’ I didn’t know I was going to unleash a wingless buffalo chicken pizza monster from within M. Must. Eat. Every. Friday. Night. So we did…for years and years…
I use to tease that he’d never leave me because I knew the secret to the sauce that no one else knew, although if you follow her recipe step by step after making it once I’m sure you’d develop the same ‘secret.’ It’s pretty obvious. Either way, it got to the point where if I’d go out on a Friday night he would just have to make it for himself (heaven forbid he’d skip a week). So, I ended up divulging the secret. Oh well, it doesn’t look like he is going anywhere anytime soon.
We took a break from the pizza for a little while. Just like all good things, sometimes you just need a little space, right? But it is back now, and in full force. Better stock up on the pizza dough and worchestershire sauce.
This recipe really is outstanding. Guys love it. Girls love it as it’s a ‘figure friendly’ take on buffalo wings…we all know how awful those are for you. Battered and fried? No thank you. Grilled is the way to go. Bonus – eating a slice of pizza is a lot easier than attempting to look decent while eating a chicken wing. Important in those early dating years…wait, always important!
A few notes I have for this recipe: In terms of the pizza dough, this is entirely up to you. Fresh Market sells packaged pizza dough that is ready to bake – just ask the deli counter. Trader Joes sells dough you can roll out, or you can stop by your favorite pizzeria and ask for their dough. Whatever is convenient for you. As far as grilling goes, if you can’t bring yourself to light up the grill until we are at least around the mid 50 degree mark, I understand. Use an indoor grill pan if you have one, or a regular pan will work just fine as well.
- Pizza Dough
- Olive Oil
- 3-4 chicken cutlets, depending on size
- Grill seasoning
- 2 TBS salted butter
- 3 TBS worchestershire sauce
- 1 TBS hot sauce (use your preference here – more or less)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup blue cheese
- Handful of scallions
- Preheat grill, grill pan, or saute pan to medium high heat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub the chicken in a little bit of olive oil and grill seasoning.
- Grill/saute chicken until done, about 3 minutes a side.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Melt butter and stir in the worchestershire and hot sauce.
- Stir in tomato sauce. Turn off heat.
- Mix together sliced grilled chicken with the sauce and spread onto pizza dough.
- Top with both types of cheese and chopped scallions.
- How long it will bake will depend on your dough. If it’s all ready partially cooked it should take around 10 minutes. If you’re using ‘raw’ dough, about 18 minutes. Just keep an eye on it.