Hello ALFS readers. Thanks for stopping by while C, M, L and B enjoy the 75 degree Florida sunshine. Given the bitter cold and flu-stricken start they’ve had to 2014, they certainly deserve it!
I’m Becky, C’s sister-in-law, and I am so excited that she asked me to guest post while she’s away. I love ALFS and read it daily, and my husband Tyler (or better known in our family as L’s best buddy) and I enjoy cooking and get most of our recipes from ALFS, so I felt rather accomplished when I found a recipe that C just had to try. We got this recipe from Tyler’s co-worker who is quite a talented cook and has her own blog, which you can find at My Bizzy Kitchen.
We had been on an Indian food kick, so when we found this chicken tikka masala recipe, we made it immediately. It came together easily and quickly, and we knew it was a success when all we could talk about the first time eating it was how good it was and how we were so surprised that we were capable of making something with such wonderful, unique flavors. The first time we made this was on a Friday, which began our monthly tradition of CTM Fridays. Think of this recipe as our version of M and C’s wingless buffalo chicken pizza.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with chicken tikka masala, it’s chicken in a spicy tomato cream sauce. Please try it, even if you generally don’t gravitate towards Indian cuisine. The sauce is so tasty and wonderful to eat with naan (Indian flat bread), which you can find in the bakery section of the grocery store. Brown rice and steamed broccoli are also wonderful CTM accompaniments. We like to double the sauce recipe and add peas to it because a little more green never hurts anyone. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do…any day of the week!
- 2 pounds chicken breast (cut into cubes)
- 16 oz. container of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove the membrane)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 6 dried chilies (we use arbol chilies)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut the chicken up into 1 inch cubes. Mix the marinade together and let the chicken sit for an hour (you can also marinate the chicken the night before).
- Heat grill pan or skillet and grill chicken until 3/4 done (a few minutes on each side). In the meantime, in a separate skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté garlic and jalapeno until soft.
- Add seasonings and stir for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add in tomato sauce and heavy cream. Add dried chilies and chicken into sauce and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in frozen peas and heat through (optional step). Serve over rice with plenty of naan.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017