Is there anything better than fresh caprese in the summer? The sunshine-filled tomatoes almost melt into the fresh mozzarella, while the basil gives it that distinct summer punch. It’s the quintessential summer dish that is oh so missed during the long winter months.
Look, tomatoes outside of summer can be pretty, um, bland. Roasted up with some olive oil, garlic, oregano, dab of honey, salt & pepper? Well, you’ve got yourself some pretty darn good flavors going on.
Toss the whole tray of roasted tomatoes, juices included, with some fresh pasta, mozzarella, and basil, and what you’re left with is this roasted caprese pasta salad, a very pretty and delicious meal. Huge bonus that can be enjoyed in the dead of winter… or summer!
- 1 pound red and/or yellow grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- TBS honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 16 ounce package dried rotini pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls or cubed fresh mozzarella (cut into smaller chunks if preferred)
- 1/2 cup basil, torn
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange tomato halves, cut sides up, in a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic, and salt; drizzle with the 1/4 cup olive oil. Roast tomatoes, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown and shriveled. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl whisk together the 1/3 cup olive oil, the vinegar, and pepper. Add warm pasta to bowl; toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and any drippings from the pan, the mozzarella, and basil to the pasta. Toss while warm to combine. Top with salt & pepper. Serve at room temperature.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017