This is my 500th post on A Life From Scratch.
What started as a mere experiment (can I do this? is anyone reading this aside from my mother? how on earth do I take photographs of food?) has turned into a pretty exciting thing around here.
I always say the absolute best part of this blog is that I’m able, through mainly food, to document our lives. I can look back on our very first post, what we ate at L’s 5th birthday party, or the day we brought B home. Sometimes the posts are hard for me to read. I can’t believe how much my boys have grown (sobbing) and my photography skills early on? EEK. So scary.
If you’re new here, thank you so much, for stumbling upon my own little corner of the internet. I hope it captures you enough to deserve a following. And for those of you have been following me from day one, thank you oh so much. Every single comment, like, share, text, email, call is beyond appreciated and makes my day. I’ve gone from 37 Facebook Fans to approaching 3,000 and am averaging close to 12,000 visitors per month. That’s all you.
Let’s see. How to celebrate properly. I think you all deserve something pretty spectacular. Does this work…?
I thought it might. Or were you thinking champagne? Don’t worry, I was too. So I made the ultimate sacrifice and tested it. These go great with champagne. Or milk. That might be the more logical choice but let’s be honest – that’s just not as fun.
You guys, we know ALFS has always had a serious deep mad obsession for cookies. From gaia cookies to bus stop cookies to the perfect chocolate chip – the list goes on and on. So when I saw these I just had to dive right in.
Is it a cookie? Yes.
Is it a brownie? Yes.
Is it completely ridiculous? Yes.
But hey, you don’t hit 500 posts every day. Make these to celebrate something great going on in your life. You totally deserve it. With the champagne.
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup, very soft)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 18.9 ounce brownie mix - my all-time favorite is Ghirardelli Double Chocolate
- (eggs, oil, and water for brownie mix)
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars in a small mixing bowl. Add vanilla and egg; cream again until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir gently until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare brownie batter as directed. Pour batter into a glass 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Scatter pieces of cookie dough over the top of the brownie batter. In my 8x8 square pan, I was able to get about ⅔ of the cookie dough to fit over the brownies and I just saved the rest for regular cookies. Press gently on the dough just until it starts to sink down into the batter a little bit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (35 for gooey, 40 or more for fully baked), covering with foil if you need to keep the cookies from getting too brown on top. I baked them uncovered for the first 20 minutes, then covered an additional 20 minutes. Let stand for 15-20 minutes and cut into pieces for serving.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017