Steve Goering, this one’s for you…
While researching my Dinner: Impossible rotisserie chicken post, a rustic chicken casserole recipe popped up and I knew I had a winner.
Well, kind of.
No offense, Martha Stewart, but it seemed a little, well, bland. So I didn’t adapt the recipe you see below, making just a few minor tweaks here and there to the original. No, I sort of rewrote it. Martha’s was a great starting point for sure, and for that I’m forever thankful.
I mean, when you posts pics like the above on Instagram and get this type of response? Well, that’s the entire point.
Well, wait no more Steve. And super darling Becca, who I have a feeling will be the one whipping up this rustic chicken casserole…
- 2 cups torn bread, I used ciabatta
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lawry's seasoning (2 TBS or so)
- Palmful of parmesan
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBS freshly minced thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups packed flat-leaf spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Extra parm, for sprinkling
- Rip up your bread into large chunks and put in a bowl. Toss generously with olive oil, Lawry's seasoning, parm, and salt & pepper.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium heat with a little olive oil. Saute onion until softened. Add in garlic and thyme and cook another minute.
- Pour in wine and cook until mostly reduced.
- Add in flour, cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in half and half to create the sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Stir in your chopped up spinach to cook until wilted, an additional minute or so.
- Stir in sprinkle of fresh lemon juice and chicken.
- Pour into a small casserole dish and top with prepared breadcrumbs. Top the whole thing with extra parm, just for good measure.
- Into the oven it goes at 450 degrees until bread is golden brown, roughly 10 minutes.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
Ooohhh, this looks fabulous!
I’ll definitely whip this up while I’m home this week!
Tia @ HoPo recently posted…A snag in the road + Updates
I hope you enjoy it!! Keep me posted.
Bread + Chicken + Parmesean + White Wine + Spinach = So.Much.Win.
Yep, you had me at bread and wine! 😀
Biz recently posted…Oktoberfest Soup
This looks really good, Courtney. Pinned!
Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg recently posted…Skinny Turkey Burger Soup (low carb)
Thank you Norma!!
Bwahahahah. Let Martha know. Personally I think most of her recipes are bland, but meh.
Dee Dee (@MissFoodieFab) recently posted…Cinnamon Cream Cheese Fruit Dip Frozen Waffles
That looks and sounds AMAZING!
Jo-Lynne Shane recently posted…Sunday Morning #CoffeeTalk
Thanks so much Jo-Lynne!
This sounds great putting on my list for next chicken meal. Thanks for all the great ideas