Typically when you think of chicken and noodles all baked to bubbly perfection in a deep casserole dish, you’re thinking about how delicious it is – but, it comes at a cost. Let’s face it, most casseroles are served with their fair share of butter and cream of condensed soups. Honestly, as delicious as it all can be, I don’t even want to think about what is in those cans.
Meet this tasty dish, garlic parmesan chicken and noodles. You get the hearty from the chicken and noodles, but it’s all wrapped up in a much lighter and easy on the jeans sauce. The top isn’t forgotten as it’s sprinkled with a breadcrumb parmesan mixture that gets that come hither golden color. Go ahead – with this one, you can have seconds.
- 12 ounces extra-wide egg noodles (I used whole wheat)
- 1 2 - 2 1/4 pound purchased roasted chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk or light cream
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (white or wheat)
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones. Discard skin and bones; shred chicken.
- In a saucepan combine chicken, peas, garlic, and whole milk; heat through.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Place breadcrumbs in a bowl and add 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and melted butter.
- Stir noodles and remaining Parmesan cheese into hot chicken mixture.
- Heat and stir until bubbly.
- Divide among four individual casserole dishes or one large one.
- Top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme.