That happens, right? If you need a ‘go to’ recipe for a crazy night during the week, see above.
These have been an easy favorite in our home for quite awhile now. I think at one point we were eating them weekly. Along with the wingless buffalo chicken pizza, I suppose our meals were getting a bit predictable. Hey, if plates are continuously being cleaned that’s a good sign, right?
What’s great about this recipe is that it can be as involved you want it to be. Have you been gone from your home for the last 9 hours, in and out of swim lessons, preschool, Target, the cleaners, the office, getting that horrid cough checked out at the pediatrician that was getting you very judgmental looks while in Target, working on homework, taking conference calls from your car, answering emails, all the while raising your kids? See option #1. Has it been a more laid back lazy day for you? Go for option #2. But I promise you that you can’t fail either way. And plates will be cleaned.
- 2 roasted chicken breasts
- Option #1: Walk into store. Purchase 2 rotisserie chicken breasts. Go home.
- Option #2: Roast the chicken breasts yourself. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub two bone in chicken breasts with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- salt & pepper
- 8 tostadas/tortillas, corn or flour - your choice
- Option #1: Walk into store. Purchase package of tosdata shells. Go home.
- Option #2: Make your own. Heat vegetable oil in deep pan on stove until hot. Fry tortillas in oil until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- vegetable oil (if frying tortillas)
- refried beans
- shredded mexican cheese
- your choice of toppings: tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, sour cream
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Take your chicken (option #1 or #2 - no one is judging) and shred with a fork. Place in bowl and mix in olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, salt & pepper.
- To assemble tostadas, spread a layer of refried beans on your tostada shells. Put a large handful of the flavored chicken on top of each one and sprinkle with cheese. Into the hot oven they go - just for a minute or two to warm them up and get the cheese melted.
- Top with whatever you prefer.
Dinner in a snap, Ole!