I am one of those people that actually loves to pack. Hey, packing typically means vacation and that is always a great thing! I love day dreaming about the adventures we’re about to have, and of course, what outfits I will be wearing because I just happen to sort of love love love clothes. I enjoy putting looks together that are interchangeable, a big key to packing. I view it as sort of a fun challenge.
Over the years I feel I have truly achieved a pretty good balance of not over or under packing. I love reading packing guides on lifestyle blogs but am always a bit shocked at how, well, minimal they are. One pair of shorts, two dresses, a pair of flats a swim suit and a floppy hat? Love the concept but no way that’s going to actually work for a week long summer vacation.
From work out gear to sunglasses to cover ups to bras to beach reads, I’m going into detail about what is going in my suitcase for a week long trip to Isle of Palms, SC. I hope it can help you with any vacation packing you may have this summer. Let’s dive in!
So, like most summer beach vacations South Carolina is HOT HOT HOT! Clothes will need to be light, breezy, and, um, minimal. Ha. For example, the concept of white pants is lovely, but I’m pretty sure I would pass out from heat exhaustion. So I’m packing knowing that it’s going to be 95 degrees and 100% humidity. We will be there a full seven days so while the lists may seem excessive, there really isn’t one item that won’t be used at some point. So let’s begin with beach gear. Going in will be….
- One full bikini
- One bikini top, to mix it up. This one from Target is so flipping cute.
- One, one piece
- Two cover ups
- Two pairs of sunglasses (I’ve always typically brought one, but regretted not having a second for a different look)
- (Broken in) Rainbow sandals. I’ve had these for five years now and they are so beach friendly (meaning, beat up).
- One book (just finished Pretty Girls. If you want to be completely creeped out by all means, read)
- One beach bag
- One towel
- SPF Lip Balm
Next up is the work out/sleep gear/undergarments category. Going in will be….
- Two sports bras
- Two tank tops
- Two running shorts
- Two pairs of ankle socks (eek! lobster socks!)
- One pair of running shoes
- One water bottle that keeps water icy cold (also great for the beach!)
- Two tanks for sleeping
- Two pajama pants (gotta love a pineapple print)
- Underwear essentials for seven days including one nude bra, one black bra, and one strapless bra. Not pictured because no one needs to see my under things.
Yippee! Now the outfit category. This is the category I struggle with the most as I want to bring ALL THE DRESSES so I definitely have lead to overpacking in this category in the past. Lessons learned. This is my magic formula….
- Three ‘day’ dresses. Think easy to throw for a quick lunch or shopping or a casual dinner in. I like to mix in a fun tropical print, a white dress (a must for the summer) and I could not resist the lemon print. (Only available in stores at Ann Taylor Loft).
- One ‘dressier’ dress in hopes for a kid free night. Grandparents, you in? Being in the south gotta go with a Lilly.
- One denim short (also beach friendly)
- One ‘fun’ short
- Pineapple tee (that can go with either short)
- Strapless gingham (hello, the south!) tee (that can also go with either short)
And finally, the accessory and shoe category. Another area I can tend to over do but have come to realize it’s best to keep simple. I’m not a huge jewelry gal anyways (basically wear the same basic pieces daily) so those will already be on me flying down. I like to bring a few small things to add in some fun, and let’s be honest how can I resist strawberry earrings? Shoes can be a struggle. The idea of heels sounds fun but in reality it’s a beach vacay. And even though all my sister in laws are super model tall (and gorgeous) I’m going to stick with flats. Maybe a wedge, if I can squeeze it in.
- Birkenstocks (my favorite to travel in – I will be wearing these down)
- A fun pair of earrings or two
- Flats. These seem to go with every single summer dress I own and are SO comfortable.
- Maybe a wedge, if I can fit it in
- Tolietry bag for bathroom essentials
- Clutch for dinners out
Yippee! That’s a wrap. Tell me, am I missing something? Over doing it? Under? I’d love your spin on how you prep for a week long trip. Happy packing!