No words at all to even remotely begin to explain how good this dish is.
How flavorful it is.
How absolutely perfect for entertaining it is.
How easy it all comes together.
How it sits so lovely on one large platter.
How I’ve literally made it five, yes five, times in about four weeks.
Do I need to go on? I so hope you are convinced. Because it’s absolutely killer.
This over roasted chicken shawarma can be served a million ways but our favorite is with chopped up olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, parsley. Trader Joes garlic pita bread and (semi) homemade hummus on the side. Oh my yes.
So dig right in and please – don’t count on any leftovers.
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- (Toppings: tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, feta, pita, hummus)
- Combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees. Use the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan. Add the quartered onion to the chicken and marinade, and toss once to combine. Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade, and place on the pan, spreading everything evenly across it.
- Put the chicken in the oven and roast until it is browned, crisp at the edges and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 2 minutes, then slice into bite sized pieces. Scatter the parsley over the top and serve with your choice of toppings.