When I heard this slow cooker chicken tortellini soup was the number one rated recipe on Pinterest I of course had to give it a try. To start, anything slow cooker and I’m a total sucker. Throw in a homemade soup and I’m all yours.
The soup was stupid easy to throw together in the morning, perfect for those crazy hectic days where you aren’t home much but still want a satisfying meal at the end of the day for yourself and your family. It took me all of five minutes to get the ingredients in the slow cooker and switch to on. Perfect. Dinner is done.
Later on when we arrived home from baseball and I stirred in the fresh tortellini to cook on low for an additional 10-15 minutes or so. Then I served in big bowls with plenty of fresh spinach and of course, garlic bread for the boys.
This soup was definitely on the chunkier side so it can lean towards a ‘bowl’ like meal (which is so in right now) as opposed to a brothy soup. Up the chicken and/or veggie amount even more if you like it chunkier although this one I thought had the perfect consistency.
Tasted absolutely lovely in pajamas with my little man near the fire. Exactly what winter is all about, am I right?
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breast
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves (I used fresh)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- Handfuls of chopped fresh spinach for serving, if you'd like
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker except for the tortellini, season with salt and pepper, and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred and add back to the slow cooker.
- Add in the fresh tortellini and cook for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately with chopped spinach.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
Leave a Reply