I need to get something off my chest.
The other day, our wonderful neighbor and partner in crime in Montana, Julie, dropped by with a beautiful basket of hand written thank you notes along with an abundance of fresh veggies from a local farm stand near her stunning (for sale!) Lake Geneva home.
Of course, it was the perfect gift for me, and I couldn’t wait to get to using it all up.
The tomatoes and red onions were just screaming salsa to me, so, I grabbed some peaches from the store and went to town on our big grill. Charring all the fruit and veggies just right for that oh so killer grilled flavor.
During the cool down process, I set up three glass jars in hopes that there would be enough for my good friend, Mary Beth, who was visiting that afternoon; for Julie, to see the results of her kindness; and of course – us! It was taco night, after all.
Well, after the chopping of the cilantro and the addition of fresh limes and salt and pepper and garlic all blended up perfectly with the grilled peaches and vegetables, I was saddened to see only enough for two jars to be filled to the top. It’s a pretty thing though, isn’t it? Fresh grilled salsa in a glass jar. But, I digress…
So, my dear friend came and went, driving away with a beloved jar of this grilled peach salsa. I then had every intention (I swear) of walking over that other jar to Julie, but was whisked away to town for football practice.
Then, while sitting on the field, I get a text. While I’m STARVING, I might add.
‘That one time you have every intention of eating the pulled pork leftovers but instead you make homemade tacos because your friend made you the best peach salsa EVER… yes… thank you!!!!’
Oh man. The best ever? Seriously? Then she follows up with this:
‘Is it wrong to eat salsa with a spoon?’
No. No, it’s not. I contemplated to keep or not to keep on my drive back north out of town. Be a nice friend or HOARD ALL THE SALSA. Upon entering the home, I knew my answer. I got out that jar and we dug in.
Hunger makes me mean. Really, really mean. And selfish, apparently.
So Julie, if you’re reading this, I so owe you. Another batch will be ready before the weekend because this stuffed rocked our world.
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 1 red onion, cut into thick slices
- 6 peaches, halved and pitted
- olive oil
- jalapeno, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- large handful of cilantro, chopped up
- juice of two big limes
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your grill over medium heat and grill tomatoes, onion, and peaches until nice char marks - roughly 5 minutes a side. Remove from grill and let cool.
- Prep your other ingredient and pulse everything together until you reach your desired consistency. I like mine still a tad chunky as opposed to super smooth.
- Taste salsa to figure out salt & pepper. I went heavy on both.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017