I mean, wow. Check out that hunk of meat.
Have you ever seen anything so beautiful? I’m pretty sure I have not. Meet the oh so tender, perfectly braised, crispy on the edges pork carnitas.
It’s a glorious thing.
Not to mention that it takes about all of 5 minutes to rub up with some killer spices and into the crock pot it goes to bathe away to a braised perfection in freshly squeezed lime juice, orange juice, a little salsa, and a bottle of Corona.
All that’s left is for you to roll up some of that bad boy in a warm tortilla and top with cilantro and avocado.
Olé my friends, Olé.
- 4-5 lbs. pork shoulder
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- ½ cup and zest of fresh orange juice
- 12 ounces beer
- ½ cup salsa (I used Frontera)
- Pat the pork shoulder dry and rub with garlic. Mix your spices together and rub into the pork.
- Add lime juice, orange juice, beer, and salsa to your crock pot and mix together. Add in your spiced pork, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred meat with two forks directly in the slow cooker (or take out, shred, and replace in sauce). It should fall apart easily.
- At this point it will be perfectly delicious. If you want that browned edges texture though simply preheat broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the shredded meat on the cooking sheet and pour a few spoonfuls of sauce over the top. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get the desired effect.
- Serve on tortillas with fresh cilantro, avocado, and fresh lime juice.