Let’s go with something light, bright, and satisfying. This soup has major nods to my favorite Italian wedding soup, but, it’s lightened up just a bit. Mini meatballs, to start, which are just too adorable. Fresh herbs also infuse flavor and believe it or not – the chives that went in were actually from my garden. Maybe there is hope, right?
- - 8 ounces ground white chicken
- - 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- - 1 egg, whisked
- - 2 TBS freshly minced chives
- - 4 cloves garlic, 2 minced 2 sliced
- - 6 TBS parmesan, 3 for meatballs, 3 for soup plus more for serving
- - salt & pepper
- - 2 TBS olive oil
- - 1 leek, green parts removed, sliced in half moons
- - 5 cups chicken stock
- - 2 cups water
- - 3/4 cup small pasta
- - 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into half inch rounds
- - one large bunch spinach, roughly sliced
- - chopped fresh basil, for serving
- Combine all ingredients up through salt & pepper to form meatballs. Roll into miniature size - will form roughly 20 or so.
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven and saute meatballs till browned on all sides. They don't have to be cooked perfectly through - they will finish up in the soup. Remove meatballs and set aside.
- Heat a little more oil in the dutch oven, if needed, and saute leeks until softened - a few minutes. Add in sliced garlic towards the end. Pour in stock and water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and carrots and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add meatballs into soup and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or so. When ready to serve, add spinach to wilt, the additional 3 TBS parmesan and stir. Laddle into deep bowls and top with additional parmesan and the basil.