I love recipes that make me feel like a better mom. We all need those from time to time, right?
This is one of those recipes.
See, it all started with these mini muffins. They have been such a hit with dear family and friends. Yippee! Nothing makes me happier.
So then I thought… what if I could up the health factor even more? I had a plethora of zucchini (shhh!) dying to be used up. There had to be some kind of awesome muffin that could aid in that.
And there is: these zucchini banana chocolate chip muffins. The recipe also includes healthy whole wheat flour, banana, and just 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Okay, okay, there are mini chocolate chips in there, too, but you could skip those. Although I’m not quite sure why you would. All great moms include mini chocolate chips.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup mashed banana (1 small-medium banana)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar together until smooth. Add in vanilla extract, butter and milk, whisking again until smooth, then stir in zucchini and mashed bananas. Gradually add in dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until tops are no longer wet and become slightly golden. Remove and let cool before serving.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
I don’t think I have made a muffin in years. Cupcakes? sure. But for some reason I never think to make any. And with fall approaching, a little change in my morning breakfast routine might be needed…I could see these with a heaping scoop of vanilla protein powder so I stay swole in the process 🙂
Tia G. recently posted…Hump Day Photo Dump
Made these for a birthday breakfast for J this morning – two thumbs up! Delicious and so much better than facing yet another slice of roasted zucchini for dinner!
I’m so glad to hear that! Happy birthday to your darling J!!
Always good to sneak in vegetables…only way the kids (and I) will eat them!
I found your website through the Super Saturday link party. I like this idea, a lot. I’ve been trying to bake veggies into my quick breads, why not try them as muffins!
Sara @ Life’s Little Sweets recently posted…Vegan Banana Bread
These look so yummy and I love the way you incorporated the zucchini. I will be making these for my toddler ASAP. Thanks for sharing this at the Home Matters Party.
Allie recently posted…House Tour: 2015