Does an idea ever come along that you feel is almost irritatingly good?
That’s how I felt when I saw Pioneer Woman make her pico de gallo and guacamole. I almost got mad. She chops up everything for her pico de gallo and then simply adds a scoop to her chunked up avocado and her guacamole is made.
I won’t tell you how many years I’ve been making homemade salsa and guacamole and I haven’t put that together. It’s embarrassing.
It’s much easier to make the two from scratch when you look at it as almost one recipe. Plus it helps put all that chopping to good use.
This pico de gallo sat nestled in warm tortillas next to our barbacoa beef. At the last minute M decided he wanted guac as well, which thanks to the genius idea, was a cinch.
Gosh I hate her and love her at the same time. Just like Heidi Klum. Sigh.
- 3 red onions, minced
- 12 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large handfuls of cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 big juicy lime, squeezed
- kosher salt, to taste
- Mix everything together and chill in the fridge so the flavors marinade. Want guac too? Of course you do. Simply add a big scoop to a chunked up avocado.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
PW annoys me too – I like her blog much better than her show – she has so much more personality in her writing!
When its grilling season in our neck of the woods, try my grilled cherry salsa, it always gets rave reviews and the cherries kind of caramelize and is a nice sweet balance to the spicy salsa.
I just purchased the CUTEST maxi dress because summer needs to be here. NOW. And this recipe would be the perfect accompaniment!
Yea for maxi dresses! So excited about spring shopping.