To be honest, I didn’t have anything lined up for C’s picks this week. I guess even ALFS needed a Labor Day break from all the planning. I was totally immersed in the last weekend of summer that without even knowing it I managed to stuff the essence of it all into a mere 48 hours. Stumbling upon a checked off list you didn’t realize you even had until it was over? Couldn’t have planned it better.
Without further ado here, in no particular order, is our family’s last gasp at summer rules:
1. These ribs. Nothing else needs to be said.
2. You better be wearing white today. Not that I’m against it after Labor Day but you can’t pull of the crisp white summer dress much longer.
3. Heirloom tomatoes. Find them. Eat them. And if you’re daring, do this to them.
4. Throw your kid in the pool, if they like that sort of thing. Mine happen to love it.
5. A fire + s’mores. Thank you, Amanda, for the s’more goodie bag. Genius.
6. A round of golf? Why not.
7. Roasted corn, extra salt and butter please.
8. It’s hot. You better roll your window down and cruz.
9. Big juicy hamburger cooked during a street festival. Bacon and cheese are not optional.
10. Remember the smell of sunscreen on your little one.
11. Get caught in a summer storm – heat lighting is much more entertaining than whatever is on TV. Yes, even housewives.
12. Pick some wildflowers and stuff them into mason jars.
13. Crisp rose wine, extra chilled.
14. Toms wedges. They really are the perfect mom heel.
15. Long hilly walks before morning nap and before bedtime. Gosh these will be missed.
16. Summer sides.
17. Enjoy the humidity. We have a love/hate relationship but in the dead of winter it’s certainly always missed.
18. Organize organize organize. I don’t know what it is but when fall is around the corner I have a dire need to get my house in tip top shape, asap.
19. Rainbow flip flops. We had a rocky start but thank you for becoming my most comfortable sandal ever.
20. Go outside! A lot. There is nothing better about summer than the ability to go outside at almost any given point. It is the thing I will miss most. With two rowdy boys, I’m sure you can imagine why.
So there you have it – isn’t summer a blast? That being said we’ve already enjoyed some of the perks fall has to offer. Football has been killer and you can’t beat back to school shopping…for the boys and mom, obviously.
Happy Labor Day my friends!