I’m assuming we are all on the same page with this one. Ceviche is fancy. It’s something you order when you head south to some exotic island or beach or resort. It’s nothing something you are like, making for dinner mid week. And that’s exactly what I love cooking club so so much. It’s about trying new things you wouldn’t normally do, like dine on fresh almost tropical ceviche on a random Thursday night in Illinois. Who does that? We did my friends, we did. And you know what?
It seemed totally attainable. Like, I could actually do this mid week on a Tuesday. Or, serve on a large tray for friends on the patio while entertaining because it totally has that fancy, impressive vibe but all that is involved in chopping away. Which, I just happen to love to do.
Yep, chop chop chop – lots of fresh flavors and beautiful colors and bam! You’ve got yourself quite the impressive dinner. And hey, want to hear the way cool tip I learned?
- 2 lbs tilapia (finely diced)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup purple onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 TBS hot suace
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Dice the tilapia when it's partially frozen and place in a bowl. Pour lime juice over, stir, and place in fridge covered for 30 minutes or so (until fish turns white).
- Pull out and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Serve chilled with corn chips.
- Be sure to buy the fish from a source you trust!
The lime juice is actually what cooks the fish! Make sure to chop your fish quite finely so that it’s small and thin enough to absorb the juice and get cooking.
Julie, thank you for being our adventurous cook! So inspiring.