As I mentioned in C’s picks this week, these homemade potstickers originally came from my good friend, Catherine. She whipped them up for a dinner party we had months ago and M hasn’t stopped talking about them since. ‘When are you going to make those potstickers?’ ‘Why haven’t you made those potstickers yet?’ ‘How is Catherine doing?’ (i.e. when is she coming over again to make me those potstickers since you obviously aren’t cutting it).
OK! I got the hint. Pot stickers were on the agenda. I whisked up the homemade dipping sauce during B’s pm nap and got the stuffing ready to go. Once I knew M’s train timing I prepped them (much easier than you think). He finally arrived home after a long day of work, sat at the counter at his usual spot, and began to gobble them up at lighting fast speed. His first comment?
‘Ok, Catherine is off the back up list.’
‘You know, since you hadn’t made me these potstickers, I put Catherine on my back up wife list.’
‘But now that I made them she is off the list?’
‘Yep’ (he says, between bites).
‘I’m confused, isn’t a back up list to use if something were to happen to your spouse?’
‘Well that – but also who can cook these chicken potstickers if your current spouse isn’t. Now, there is no list.’
Huh. So that’s how we are handling this. I’m going to have to rethink my back up plan.
- 1 lbs ground chicken
- 3 TBS chopped cilantra
- 2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 2 TBS sesame oil
- 1 raw egg, whisked
- pot sticker wrappers
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp hot chili oil
- Add all ingredients up through the sesame oil and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Take roughly 1 tsp of the chicken mixture and place in the middle of the wrapper. Rub a little egg along the edges of the wrapper, fold to close. Seal with a little more egg.
- Add a little vegetable oil to a hot pan over medium heat. Fry pot stickers with a lid for 6 minutes, roughly 3 min per side.
- Serve hot with the dipping sauce.
- Mix all above together and serve.