If there were ever a cartoon to depict me more the first
week month or so of November it would be this one.
I literally can’t deal you guys.
I check my iphone constantly hoping the little icon showing the sun sets at 4:45PM somehow magically moves forward two hours, at least.
4:45. 4:45??? Hey, I’m not the only one that is a mess. We had to wake B from his nap the other day around 5:00PM and the poor kid woke up to a dark home and pitch black outside. He then proceeded to scream and cry random thoughts such as ‘WHY DID YOU WAKE ME AT NIGHT‘ ‘ (wail) ‘where is the nice sunny day‘ (wail) and finally, ‘are we going to the airport?‘ Ha. (We tend to leave for airports quite early.)
Poor B. And poor me. Do you know what this means? This means that for the next whatever months (I can’t even process the number right now) my boys will be…..gasp….inside my home. Wail.
See, we don’t do inside.
We are an outside family. And by we I mean my boys. Out they go. Go play. I will tend to you at dinner.
But now what? I can’t send them outside. Can I? It’s literally like midnight death out there. And it’s not like I want to go out there and watch them. There are coyotes!
Monday I contemplated running to Target and buying the biggest coolest brightest flashlights there are. They could play outside then, right? Maybe?
Then I thought about installing new lighting around our home. People do that with landscaping, right? We could like, light up our trees or something and B could still play baseball?
Then I thought about moving. Somewhere has to be light and warm always past 4:10PM.
These are all actual legitimate thoughts that went through my head and were spoken out loud to M this week who, clearly, thought I had lost my mind. ‘Why are you making such a big deal out of this?‘ he asks.
Well, let’s see, I don’t know…..perhaps because I have to be trapped inside with two outdoor boys. You know that fear people have of leaving their home? Goro something? I think I have that, but the exact opposite. I have a fear of being stuck inside.
So fellow moms of other outdoor children unite! Here is what is keeping me sane during the hour of ‘it’s too dark to play outside but it’s not yet dinner time (which, let’s be honest means dinner, bath, bed) and we’ve already colored and completed all homework and are starting to throw random things at the walls’ hour.
- Actually cooking dinner again and including the kids. It’s not always relaxing but it’s a project that moves time forward. This cookbook is a go to.
- This candle is typically always lit right around 4:00 in my house and brightens up the room.
- Let’s be honest, a glass of this is happening. (After 5:00, of course).
- Happy socks make things happier.
- So do homemade chocolate chip cookies.
- These tend to come out to play when the days get short and the weather gets cold. All my boys, husband included, are obsessed.
- How absolutely hilarious is the cartoon sketch above? I got a kick out of it so much I spent way too much time laughing at the artist’s blog. I hope it gives you a chuckle too!
- And when all else fails, this is pretty much what goes down. Happy Friday everyone!