My sister in law, Carolyn, turns 24 today!
We celebrated together as a family this past Sunday. I was in charge of dessert and couldn’t have been happier, another chance (/challenge) to bake a cake!
I let the birthday girl pick the kind and like a true summer girl she went with vanilla cake and a lemon frosting. I couldn’t wait to try it out for her. Real Simple put out an article (click here) on cake baking a few months ago and I have been inspired ever since. It breaks down the basics: chocolate or vanilla cake, throws in a few frosting options, fun toppings, as well as ‘fancy’ toppings to give it that wow factor. The result? You are left with a cake that’s sure to impress.
A few hints I’d like to point out to make the cake baking experience even easier:
– Don’t attempt to make the cake from start to finish all at once – it’s too much! First bake the actual cakes. Once cooled, wrap in saran wrap and store on the counter for a day or in the fridge for a few days. Frost and decorate your cake at a later point.
– You really need room temperature butter and eggs on this one. Don’t skip that step – for the cakes and frosting.
– To line the cake pans with parchment place the bottom piece on parchment paper and trace a circle. Then cut it out for a perfect fit.
Carolyn’s cake was a vanilla base, lemon frosting, and topped with candied lemons. We gobbled it up.
Can’t wait for the next birthday!
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
This really looks awesome, looks like summer and festivity….