It’s no joke that I’m a total sucker for a roasted chicken recipe. My tops favs including this chimichurri recipe and this chicken facile, but this Spanish chicken & chorizo bake completely blew me away. It took all of five minutes to prep and one hour on the dot to roast away to a browned perfection. On the table it goes with a glass of wine and you’ve got yourself a meal.
Don’t have an hour at dinner time because you’re running kids like a mad woman all over town? I understand. Try this tip. The above came together when L was in school reading away, B was at his little 2’s class singing songs about body parts, and me? Well, I was alone in my kitchen (!!!), throwing these ingredients into my big roasting tray while this song blasted away. Once cooled, into the fridge it went to hang out until dinner time, and out the door I went to pick up B.
You know what? I’m convinced sometimes recipes are even better that way. They have time to linger, meld flavors, figure it all out. Come 5:30, I preheated the oven to 275 and let it warm up for an hour or so. Tasted divine.
- 2 tablespoons regular olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs (bone in, with skin)
- 1 pounds chorizo sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (you can use regular sausage if chorizo is too spicy)
- 1 pounds baby white-skinned potatoes, halved
- 1 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- zest of one orange
- basil, ribboned
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Put the oil in the bottom of a shallow roasting pan. Rub the skin of the chicken in the oil, then turn skin side up.
- Add in the chorizo sausages and the baby potatoes. Sprinkle with the onion, oregano, salt & pepper, then grate the orange zest over the contents.
- Bake for 1 hour. The last few minutes or so I switched on the broiler to brown and crisp up the skin. I topped with some basil ribbons for color and onto the table it goes.