Lasagna, while always delicious, comes with a certain connotation of just being high maintenance. So high maintenance that it would be a terrifying thought to tackle after 6PM on a week night…until now.
Enter skillet lasagna. Just as tasty as the original, but modified down to a quick 30 minute dinner that comes together beautifully. You can do this on a weeknight, promise. Massive bonus that it’s a lot healthier than the original by using chicken sausage and whole wheat noodles. Optional of course – but why not when it’s just as tasty? It is still January. We’re supposed to be eating healthy, guys.
M and I gobbled this up on a cold winter night (is there any other kind of night?) and loved every single bite. Even the baby gave it a thumbs up – meaning, it didn’t end up on the floor. Nothing makes mom happier. Huge win, all around!
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 lb. chicken Italian sausage, crumbled
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths (I used whole wheat)
- 2 (19 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Heat a large non-stick (or cast iron) skillet over medium heat. Add a small bit of oil, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, and parsley. Cook for 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
- Add sausage, and cook until no longer pink. Drain fat, if needed.
- Add lasagna noodles to skillet. Top with tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender (20-25 minutes).
- When pasta is tender, remove from heat. Stir in half of mozzarella and parmesan, and ¼ cup cottage cheese.
- Smooth top and dollop with spoonfuls of remaining ½ cup cottage cheese. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan over all.
- Place under a pre-heated broiler until cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil just before serving