With it being January, the month where the gyms are crowded and the diets are in full swing and the germs are everywhere, I thought I’d share some of our favorite little healthy living tips. These are items and habits that are apart of our daily lives and while we are, of course, not the epitome of health by any means, maybe a little tip might stick with you for your own family. Let’s be honest, in the dead of winter, we all need all the help we can get! Let’s do this.
- To start, wipe down those darn carts. I’ve made this a consistent habit this year and it seems to have helped. No wipes? Read on.
- I can’t say enough good things about this spray. I spray carts, airplane trays and armrests, and B’s hands every single time we leave his preschool. Keep a few in your purse.
- Continue on with the clean hands things, I make my children wash their hands as soon as they are home from school and each and every time they use the washroom. Obvious? You would think so. I have the above pictured print from the darling Etsy Shop, Printable Wisdown, hung in the bathroom as a
gentlein your face reminder.
- We drink a lot of water. We each have a different colored Contigo water bottle and they are constantly being refilled and offered to the kids over and over again. M brings his on the train to work, and mine is always in my purse.
- We move around, a lot. I always say my best exercise is my boys. They need to be run so we are always finding some fun way to run them, preferably outdoors. Lately, it’s been snowboarding. Up and down the hill is enough to make everyone fall asleep early.
- Ah, sleep. It’s strictly enforced around here during the week. 8:30 bed times, no exceptions. And I try to be in bed by 10:00. Weekends we are more flexible, especially with L.
- Vitamins. This may be more of a mental thing but hey, they love them!
- Healthy(ish) eating. Fast food is extremely rare yet we aren’t doing any weird green juice cleanses or anything. Just normal healthy(ish) eating. Whole grain pastas, soups filled with veggies, slow cooked meats. L has been much more adventurous lately with eating vegetables which I am so happy about! It will come with B, I don’t stress about it.
- As far as mom’s workout routine, I do a three mile hike around our neighborhood 5(ish) times a week. If it’s 20 or above – I go. I also keep myself in check and occasional time a mile. I like to stay right around 8 minutes. Lugging groceries and laundry and kids around is my form of weight lifting.
- Humidifiers are in full force in the winter in all our rooms. The boys love this one, as you can change the color. I love them because I can diffuse an oil in their room at night. Our favorites are peppermint (helps with breathing) and lavender (calming).
- Probiotics! Huge, huge change we started last year. Each morning my boys start the day with a probiotic smoothie from Trader Joes. They love them and while the scientific research is still being done on the full benefits, probiotics claim to help regulate the digestive system and help boost immunity. Hey, even if the benefits are only minimal, no doubt it’s a good way to start their day.
- Toothbrushes. Do you have a routine for how often you change yours up? We do and it’s monthly.
- Our motto whenever we go anywhere: ‘don’t touch anything.’ Perhaps I’m raising germophobes but when you have the kid that literally will lick the cart, well, desperate times man.
A little exercise, healthy(ish) eating, and clean habits. Pretty simple around here. Any tips of yours to add? I’d so love to hear!
*Photo credit: Printable Wisdom. So pretty, right? Check out all her darling work, here!
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Caprese garlic bread - June 22, 2017
- Motherhood: routines to encourage at home - June 21, 2017
- Meal prep Monday: Zucchini noodle salad with grilled chicken - June 19, 2017