Stuffed peppers are a great way to keep things cozy, warm, and healthy as you can stuff in the veggies and go completely carb free if you’d like. Granted we rarely do but that’s just my crew.
I made these italian sausage stuffed green peppers last week and they were an unreal hit. A lot of the time the recipe calls for you to stuff the peppers raw and then bake everything all together. I find the pepper part never gets to the texture or flavor I like that way, so, I am always sure to roast the plain green peppers first with olive oil, salt & pepper, and then stuff. Way better than way.
As far as what you fill them up with, that is up to you. I went with mild italian sausage, a little onion, garlic, fire roasted tomatoes, a bit of brown rice and seasonings. Topped with bubbly mozzarella, yum, these came out absolutely perfect and not a morsel was left.
A huge win for what I feel is a very family friendly recipe. Let me know if you try them out – I’d so love to hear!
- 4 large peppers (green, red, yellow or orange), tops cut off and cleaned out
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used brown)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional - I didn't have any on hand)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Prep the green peppers and rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast away for 15-20 minutes, until slightly softened and browned.
- Meanwhile, saute the sausage and onion until browned. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes.Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning, simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stuff sausage and rice mixture into the hollowed out roasted peppers. Place inside a baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or so. Flip on the broiler for a minute or so if you want the tops browned.