In case you haven’t put it together yet, the next few months around here we will be in full baseball mode. Lots of practices, lots of (not short) games, and lots of cheering.
M is the coach so that means our crew will look something like this: M is frustrated because well, it’s 7 year olds playing baseball. L is being a total goofball because, hello, his dad is the coach. I’m sweating and stressed because I’m trying to keep B… alive around all the bats and balls. And B is a combination of this is the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Yep. That’s my crew! And hey, we love every minute. Baseball seems to be L’s fav sport so we kept it going all winter. We can’t wait to see what this spring entails for him. He has a kick-ass team with wonderful friends who couldn’t be more darling.
Now to the most important part of baseball… hello, the food! I’m all about a classic hot dog at the game but cooking one at home after the first weekend of practices just seemed a bit, well, uneventful. Let’s take it up a notch.
Enter hot dog melts, the cheese stuffed bacon wrapped hot dogs with spicy horseradish herbed sauce.
I know. There are no words.
And since I’m sure your weekend are crazy busy as well, here is the play by play of how I broke down this recipe last Sunday:
Whisk together sauce in the am. Throw in a jar and into the fridge it goes. Do not skip the sauce, trust me.
Stuff the hot dogs, wrap with bacon, put on a foil lined tray and into the fridge it goes.
Go about your day – errands, practices, games, cheering – go team go! Relax, dinner is good to go.
Walk in the door a bit spent. Immediately preheat oven.
Shake up a margarita. Icy cold. Enjoy. Ahhhhh.
In go the dogs to roast away to a bubbly, cheesy, goodness. 15 minutes later – serve it up! Pickles, good chips, and watermelon require zero effort.
Smiles all around! You so nailed it – just like your little baseball star sliding into home plate.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup drained prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 6 all-beef hot dogs, slit lengthwise
- 6 thin slices of lean bacon
- 6 hot dog buns
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, mustard, honey, shallots, chives and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a slice of cheese in the center of each splayed hot dog, breaking the slice if necessary to fit it in. Wrap a slice of bacon around each hot dog and secure it with toothpicks.
- Arrange the hot dogs on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the upper third of the oven until the bacon is crisp, about 12 minutes.
- Place each hot dog in a bun and serve, passing the horseradish sauce on the side.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017