Oh, Spring. You fickle thing, you. You’re on. You’re off. You’re up. You’re down. You’re enough to drive this aching for summer gal batty.
I’ve always said this was my least favorite season because of the horrible mind games it plays with you. One day you’re in flip flops, then next day back in black salt crusted boots. It can be terribly depressing to have those teases whisked away by a unwelcome winter breeze.
The week prior to this one was not so great. I may have thrown a
slight temper tantrum or two while hibernating. I just could not be stuck in my (under construction) home or outside freezing one. more. day. And yet it was relentless. That breeze, the 40 degree temp. Nothing would shake it.
She was so right. (And um hello, yum!)
Spring can be up and down, but those up days are like… gifts. Like outside from sun up to sun down, dirty as can be, grilling food and talking to neighbors again while drinking ice cold wine on a picnic blanket, barefoot while the boys play baseball gifts. I love them. My boys love them. Every single minute. And I think about how much I love them just as much as I’m enjoying actually living them. I hope that made sense.
Basically, making a beautiful spring day count kicks ass just as much as the actual beautiful spring day itself. Because in summer it’s (generally) a given. But in spring, we don’t let one minute go to waste, and playdates at the park with homemade strawberry limeade would be the perfect example of that. Because at that very moment, that sweaty, sunny, dirty, delicious moment, all is exactly how it should be. I couldn’t be happier.
Cheers to spring, and the hope it brings of summer! The bare feet say it all.
- 1 ¼ lb strawberries, washed & cut in halves, about 4 cups
- 2 limes, washed and quartered (use lemons to make strawberry lemonade)
- 1/2 cup honey or sugar to taste, adjust based on your preference and sweetness of strawberries
- 6 cups of water
- Garnishes: strawberry slices, lemon slices and/or fresh herbs (mint, lemon verbena, lemon balm, basil)
- Blend strawberries with the honey and 1 cup of water. You don’t need to strain this, it’s better to keep all the strawberries goodness. Then place the blended strawberries mix in a pitcher.
- Then in the same blender, you don’t need to wash or rinse it, blend the quartered limes (or lemons) with the 1-2 cups of water. Strain the lime mix into the pitcher, mix well and add the rest of the water. Taste and adjust sweetness level if needed.
- Adult version possible! For a refreshing summer cocktail, add your choice of alcohol. You can use vodka, tequila, or rum! You can also mix the strained mix with white wine or sparkling wine, instead of the additional 4 cups of water, for delicious strawberry sangria.