Mmmmm. We all know radishes + salted butter might just be the best combo ever, am I right?
Enter radishes + herbed salted butter. On toasty bread. Dreamy.
I first got this idea while dining on the most amazing (what seemed like) twelve course dinner at Monteverde in the city. Unreal and hands down one of the best meals of my life, (thank you Cathy). One of the first courses were warm baguettes smeared with the good stuff: butter, herbs, lemon. On top sat slightly roasted radishes and the combination was just out. of. this. world. My favorite course by far. As far as I was concerned, bring me another platter and dinner was done.
I didn’t know the exact recipe but I knew I could come close with Ina Garten’s. Hers had the key players: the dill, the lemon, and of course, the butter which I made in advance.
Come appetizer prep time (in between eight showings, ahem) I smeared the butter onto the warm bread and all was glorious in the world. It sort of sank into the crevasses in all the right spots. Topping with the crisp, slightly bitter, slightly peppery pink radish? Bam. You’ve got yourself one awesome summer app.
- 2 bunches radishes with the tops intact
- Sea salt
- herbed butter, recipe follows
- 1 French baguette, sliced diagonally, and lightly toasted in the oven
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced scallions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed just until combined.
- Arrange the radishes on a bed of sea salt. Spread the butter on slices of warm toasted bread and arrange on a platter. Serve at room temperature.