There are just certain recipes that you must sneak in before summer is over. This one and this one, for sure. And here is a new trick for up your sleeve. Everyone loves caprese salad. How about smothered on top of grilled chicken?
The ingredients are simple, and this grilled chicken caprese recipe is easy – this one is the perfect way to close out summer before the fall blows in. Hurry up though, I can already feel the chill…!
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices and patted dry
- grill seasoning
- 4 small or 2 large chicken breasts, flattened to an even thickness or sliced in half lengthwise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Mix together basil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking as you go, until fully combined.
- Remove 3 tablespoons vinaigrette to a medium sized bowl, toss with mozzarella. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and grill seasoning.
- Cook on a hot grill until chicken is cooked through.
- Throw the tomatoes on the last few minutes to get a nice char on both sides.
- Transfer chicken to a platter, top with tomatoes, drizzle with remaining vinaigrette and top with marinated mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and set inside a warm oven (350 degrees or so) for a few minutes to help melt the cheese.