Do you ever have a dinner where everything on your plate is just so amazing you don’t know what exactly to sink your fork into first? Each corner of your plate seems to be demanding your utmost attention and you have to do everything in your power to not resort to just ditching the fork entirely and diving in?
Welcome to that dinner. You know I don’t write about something I’m not completely obsessed with but if I could be possibly even more obsessive about a recipe I would be about this one. You need to make this – soon.
This is a festive and colorful meal which pairs the flavors of skirt steak with guacamole that is broken down or ‘deconstructed.’ So you get to experience the flavors individually as well as enjoy different combinations of flavors for each bite. A slice of marinaded skirt steak with charred avocado and a fresh cherry tomato topped with cilantro? Yes please. Grilled red onion, lime, and a forkful of herbed black bean rice? Sign me up.
This recipe came together effortlessly for a week night meal – we had it on a rather unassuming Monday. It would also make a beautiful presentation on a large platter for company – the colors are so warm and inviting. Don’t count on leftovers.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 TBS hot sauce
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 2 rounded TBS grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 TBS grill seasoning
- 2 lbs skirt steak
- 4 one inch slices of red onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- salt & pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, halved and pits removed
- handful of freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 limes
- Bring the chicken stock and 1 TBS of olive oil to boil in a saucepan. Stir in the rice, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 12 minutes. Stir in the scallions, some cilantro, black beans, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Replace the lid and cook over low for 6 more minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium high. In a shallow dish combine the hot sauce, worcestershire, mustard, 3 TBS olive oil and the grill seasoning. Coat the steak and marinade at room temp for 10 minutes.
- Stick a toothpick through the side of each thickly sliced onion to keep the rings together. Brush the onions and jalapenos with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill along with the meat. Cook for 5 minutes and then turn all items to cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side. The last 4 minutes of the cooking time place the avocados on the grill to char and mark. Remove all items to a large platter and let rest.
- To serve, thinly slice the steak on an angle and divide among plates. Serve with an avocado half, a thick slice of red onion, a jalapeno half, a sprinkle of cilantro and a few halved tomatoes. Put a large scoop of the herbed black bean rice on the side and squeeze fresh lime juice over the entire plate.
Not bad for a Monday…