Anyone entertaining this weekend?
Cool. Let’s get this bad boy in your rotation.
This charred corn salad has a lot going on – just like you. We’ve got charred on the grill corn, jalapenos, and red peppers to start. They are mixed up with some heart healthy quinoa to give the dish even more substance. Add in some fresh greens like basil, cilantro, green onions. Oh, and let’s top the whole things off with bacon and cotija cheese, shall we? Yes. Yes, we shall.
Pair this dish next to your favorite grilled ribs, burgers, chicken, anything, and you’ve got yourself the essence of summer all tossed together in one killer dish.
Happy weekend (and entertaining!) everyone!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 4 ears corn, husks removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers
- 2 jalapeños
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1/4 tsp salt + pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 lime, juiced, plus extra for garnish
- 2-4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 4 thick slices bacon, cooked + chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- Prepare quinoa according to directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, preheat the grill to the highest setting. Remove the husk from each ear of corn. Brush the corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap the corn in one layer of aluminum foil. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side — rotating corn 4 to 5 times during grilling. At the same time, also place the red peppers and jalapeño peppers on the grill. Lightly charr the peppers on all sides. Remove from the grill and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile combine 2 tablespoons cilantro, smoked paprika, chile powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl add the 3 tablespoons butter and half the seasoning mixture. Once the corn is finished smother with just enough of the butter to coat all around the it. Allow the corn to cool and then, slice off the cob using a sharp knife. Slice the peppers as well and add everything to a big serving bowl.
- Next add the warm quinoa to the bowl, along with the remaining seasonings, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, basil, green onions, tomatoes and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss well. Add the bacon if using (use!) and then the cotija cheese, toss again and serve warm or at room temperature.