To say we get in a rut for breakfast would be the understatement of the year. For two (or more) years, L, M, and I pretty much eat the exact same thing every day and it goes something like this:
L: Toasted bagel with cream cheese, raspberries.
M: Bowl of cinnamon life (yes, he’s about to be 36), if it’s the weekend. If it’s the weekday he grabs a banana on the way out.
C: Toasted whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter, sliced banana, and honey.
Bam. Every single day for years.
Occasionally for a treat I’ll whip up something special like my mom’s blueberry muffins or homemade buttermilk pancakes but generally, my efforts really do swing more towards dinner time.
Then I saw this glorious recipe over at My Bizzy Kitchen and knew I had to shake up the breakfast rut. These were easy enough to whip up on a weekday, made the home smell wonderful (is there a better way to wake up?), and were the perfect balance of filling enough to get you to lunch but not too filling to weigh you down. Huge bonus that you can customize each one – so, the boys’ were stuffed with bacon and cheddar and I kept mine lighter with spinach and mushrooms. Perfection all around.
- 6 Pillsbury Grands, cut in half
- 3/4 cup egg beaters
- 3/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 ounces deli ham, chopped (we used a few slices of bacon, cooked)
- 2 ounces chopped cheese
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- Few mushrooms, sliced
- Heat oven to 375. Cut the biscuits in half, pinch together and press into the bottom of the muffin tin, kind of pushing up the sides.
- Divide the ham (or bacon!) between the tins. Divide the spinach between the tins.
- Mix together the egg beaters, egg whites, Tabasco, salt and cracked pepper and pour evenly between the tins.
- Top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
- Makes 12 – each one comes in at 135 calories, 5.5 fat, 13 carbs, .5 fiber and 7.1 protein
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
So glad you liked them Courtney! I just love the fact that in one muffin tin, I can get breakfast for a week for myself and not have to think about it – they reheated beautifully in our office toaster oven.
Have a great weekend – hopefully it will warm up – WTF with the snow this morning??!
Biz recently posted…I wanted to eat all the food.