So, the other day I posted on Facebook to see if you guys wanted to hear about chicken cobb burgers or dark chocolate zucchini oat cookies. The winner? Drum roll please…
::::Pretty sure the photo gave it away::::
… the cookies! Just barely though, don’t worry. To die for chicken cobb burgers will go up early next week, promise.
Now about those cookies. I feel sort of bad posting how these came about on M’s actual birthday, but that’s how it all lined up so here we go.
I put M on a secret diet for awhile now. It wasn’t completely necessary and certainly not about anything vane. I just felt all the winter weight and rough travel schedule and airport dinners and wine and dine dinners had taken a small toll. It was time to whip my man into shape. How to accomplish that?
Let’s just cut out my baking and see what happens.
I thought it would be harder on me, honestly. I have a severe attachment to my kitchen aid mixer. Yet when my hobby of baking becomes M’s hobby of eating, it seemed like the only logical thing to end. I thought I’d hear a lot more complaining too but I ended it pretty early with a conversation like this:
“Why aren’t you baking anymore? We never have any dessert!”
“Well, if you want L at camps and playing baseball in McHenry and B playing at the pool and going on bike rides and meat marinading and a clean house and bills paid and packing for trip,s something has to give in the summer.”
That shut him up. #meanwife
The results? Guys have it so easy. Cut out one thing and BAM 10 pounds are gone. Looking good M…!
So these cookies are my attempt at getting back in the baking groove with a healthier twist. I loved them. B loved them. L gave it an ‘ok’ and M? Well, he took a pass. Which might have just been the whole point.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (1 medium)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in small bowl. Beat butter, sugar in large mixer bowl until well combined. Add egg and vanilla extract, beat well. Add zucchini; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats, nuts and morsels. Drop by rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown around edges. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.