Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /homepages/43/d354302869/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/recipe-card-master/yumprint-recipe.php on line 610
Sometimes it’s just time for a throwback. Old school comfort. Recipes you know your grandpa probably loved and that your husband couldn’t be happier to eat.
That’s this dish. Stuffed green pepper soup. It isn’t the prettiest of recipes, yet it sure does the trick. And with a few twists I upped the health factor just a bit. Organic lean ground beef, loads of chopped peppers, San Marzano tomatoes, and brown rice.
Ok, ok, when you still break it down it’s still a red meat soup topped with an excessive amount of cheese. And sometimes that’s just A-ok.
- 1 lbs ground beef (I used grass fed organic)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
- 1 14 ounce can tomato soup (I used Amy's Organics)
- 1-2 cups chicken stock, depending on the consistency you want
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice)
- 2 tsp garlic powder or garlic salt, either works
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- a good amount of salt & pepper
- TBS or so of fresh oregano, minced
- Top with shredded cheddar and saltine crackers
- In a large Dutch over cook the meat with all the veggies. Near the end add in the garlic.
- Drain, to get ready of any excess grease.
- Return to the pot and pour in your tomatoes, stock and soup. Add the cooked rice and stir to combine.
- In go your seasonings, stir again. Cover pot and simmer on low for 30 minutes or so.
- Be sure to taste again at this point, you may need more seasonings. Otherwise top with cheese, crackers, and you're good to go!
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
this sounds better than Rachael Ray’s Stuffed Cabbage Stoup. You can also check out Mark Bittman’s recipes for cabbage in the nyt.com….search on “cabbage.”
Yummm – sounds delicious Martha!
That looks delicious Courtney!
Biz recently posted…Biz’s Breakfast Cookie
Oh – this looks awesome – perfect for a fall night!!
Kim recently posted…Almost Skipped a Day (10/12 – 10/18)
Thank you, Kim!
Hi Courtney! Soup looks great!!
Sandi @ Sandi’sAllergyFreeRecipes recently posted…Quick and Easy Pork Loin Roast (Gluten Free/ Paleo)
Thank you, Sandi!
Stupid question, is the tomato soup a concentrate or a ready to eat tomato soup?
Not stupid at all! I used ready to eat tomato soup 🙂 I hope you enjoy!