Well hello there…summer? I’m not sure about you but I haven’t really been indoors since Sunday morning. This weather – amazing! My house has been neglected but we have visited every park within a 10 mile radius so I have a happy and sun kissed worn out pair of boys on my hands. I mean, they are tan. I got scolded from M for the baby having color but seriously I put SPF 50 on him, he wears a hat, and 90% of the time we are in the shade. What do you want from me? Our skin soaks up the sun, B’s included apparently. Guess we know he is for sure ours if there were ever any doubts.
Anyway, with M landing close to dinnertime I never like to plan a meal to grill because it’s just too much for him. It’s better to have a quick cooking recipe on hand that can be flexible through pre bedtime meltdowns and/or airport delays. These cool lettuce wraps fit the bill – fast and fun. Let’s change it up a bit, shall we?
With 8 crisp vegetables coated in Asian flavors and wrapped up in crisp lettuce cups it was the perfect end to an 80+ degree day. Huge bonus that this came together incredibly easy. I’m talking in 15 minutes dinner was DONE. You’ve got 15 minutes, I promise. Make this.
And don’t judge me for my tan baby.
- -1 TBS olive oil
- -1 lbs lean ground beef
- -1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- -1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- -2 garlic cloves, minced
- -1 celery rib, finely chopped
- -1 1/4 shredded cabbage
- -1/3 cup hoisin sauce, plus more for serving
- -1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- -1 large carrot, coarsely shredded on the large holes of a grater
- -2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- -kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- -iceberg lettuce
- -2 TBS freshly chopped cilantro
- -lime wedges
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the beef and cooking for about 4 minutes or so.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl.
- Keeping the skillet on medium high heat add the remaining 1 tsp olive oil with the onions and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute or until the onions begin to soften.
- Stir in the garlic, celery, cabbage, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Stir in the hoisin sauce.
- Return the meat to the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds to blend the flavors.
- Stir in 1 cup bean sprouts, carrots, and 1/3 of the scallions and season with salt & pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter.
- Spoon some of the beef mixture into each one and garnish with cilantro, remaining bean spouts and scallions.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges and extra hoisin sauce on the side.