Have you seen these beauties popping up in stores lately? They are all over and totally a precursor to the approaching holiday season. If you ask me, brussels are totally the star of November. I’m in love, and they are the perfect go to side dish for any roasted meat you have tenderizing in your oven…it doesn’t have to be Thanksgiving Day.
There are probably a million and one ways to prepare these but hands down, this is the best I’ve had. I had a similar feel to them all out in California. Almost charred, soft yet crispy, and surrounded in….well….yes, bacon fat. IT’S FINE. I knew I had to get home and recreate as best I can.
The secret? Bake the bacon on a large tray and remove then toss the brussels in the bacon fat. Don’t judge me. Who needs olive oil. After that you simple season with salt, pepper, and get this…..freshly squeezed orange juice.
I then added some whole slices of peel for a bit of extra flavor and color and my goodness….unreal. The orange juice cooks down with the bacon grease to create that perfect sweet and salty vibe. These would go great with a roasted pork tenderloin or of course turkey or hey….even on their own. I probably ate half this try and it was all I needed. If you are a brussels sprouts gal you know exactly what I’m talking about.
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 to 5 large handfuls of brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 large orange
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the bacon on a large baking sheet and bake until crisp, roughly 10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon slices, leaving the fat. Crank up your oven to 425. Toss the brussels in the fat, adding a bit more olive oil if they look dry. (I didn't need but depends on the fattiness of your bacon).
- Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice from the orange and toss around, using some peel if you'd like as well.
- Roast the brussels sprouts until slightly charred, roughly 20 minutes or so (keep an eye on them). Chop up the bacon and sprinkle over the top - enjoy!
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
This looks so delicious and easy, Will make asap, thank you for a yummy new way to enjoy Brussel Sprouts!