Sometimes it’s good to shake up your salad routine, don’t you think? And what better time than a new year. With the deep winter months ahead (read: months and months of comfort food) it’s nice to find something that pairs oh so perfectly with that pot roast, or beef bourguinon, or roast chicken. Anything, really.
I first found this salad last fall when Bon Appetit recommended it be served along with Thanksgiving dinner. It’s super light with a bit of a bite that balances out all the other, well, calories that may be taking up your plate. It was a hit and I’ve been using it ever since and can’t believe I have yet to share on here!
Persimmons are the star in this salad but can be tricky to find at times so feel free to swap out with pears or tomatoes. Keep the onions cut super thin and don’t forget the buttery avocado. All these pair together perfectly with the tart dressing to yield the most crisp, healthy, and clean salad for the deep winter months ahead.
I don’t know about you, but I have zero problem with this salad taking up most of my plate.
- 1 large red onion, sliced super thin
- 1 avocado, chunked
- 2 persimmons (or pears!) chunked
- arugula, baby arugula, spinach or a mix of all (enough to fill a salad bowl)
- 9 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Fill your salad bowl with your choice of greens. Whisk salad dressing together and pour over greens. Gently toss. Top with your red onion, avocado, and persimmons. Gently toss again and serve!