School is in session and if there is one after school treat that rings a bell in terms of my childhood it would have to be rice crispy treats. The smell alone brings up memories of getting off the bus and hoping my mom had whipped up a batch while I was gone.
To be honest, I had forgotten about them until this lazy Saturday morning. (I don’t even care to admit how long we were in our pajamas). The Pioneer Woman was on the Food Network channel and she made her own version of the crispy treats – mini marshmallows added to the end so you get whole chunks in your bites as well as sprinkles on top. Genius. Sprinkles just make everything better – even a bad day at school. Don’t these just look cheerful?
L immediately requested these so I added them to the kitchen to do list for the weekend. I hope they bring a smile to his face! I owe him at least that after the ‘late’ bus pick up.
- 4 TBS salted butter
- 1 10 ounce bag marshmallows
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 cups rice crispies
- 2 cups of additional mini marshmallows
- sprinkles for the top
- Grease a 9X13 pan with softened butter.
- Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in the salt and remove from the heat.
- Put your rice crispies in a large bowl and pour the melted marshmallows over them. Stir to combine. Add in the mini marshmallows.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan - a tip! Get the back of your mixing spoon or your fingers, whatever you prefer, damp. Makes it super easy to press the mixture down flat that way.
- Now the fun part, the decor! Sprinkle to your hearts content.
These need to be in serious rotation for special (or rough) school days.