First off all, hi. I know it’s been awhile. To be honest I’ve felt a little bad about this space and haven’t really known how to hop back in. Even though it’s mine. Weird, huh? It’s been weeks since my last post, and I didn’t even do my typical holiday sign off post saying goodbye! Terrible C, terrible. Yet mid to late December is always a weird time for routines for me. There is just so much going on! But now it’s 2018 and I’m back in full force. Oh so many fun topics and recipes on the horizon to share with you that I’m almost bubbling with excitement. We are going to have a lot of fun here this year, I promise. And I am so thankful to you all for following me along!
I thought it would be appropriate for my first post back and also my first post of 2018 to share my personal goals for this year. I’ve felt very inspired down here in beautiful Mexico with plenty of time (well as much time as you get to clearly think on a family vacay) to day dream about about how I can make my life and the lives of those important to me better. Some of this is silly, some of this is serious. I will not only be sharing these in list format today but many of these goals or projects, if applicable, I will share how I accomplish them down the road on a life from scratch. Hopefully it can be inspiring for you and yours. Without further do, here is what is on my heart and mind for 2018.
- I am terrible about using reusable bags at the grocery store. Terrible. This needs to end this year. Purchased some sturdy ones on Amazon and will be making it a point to use them religiously this year and all years going forward. I feel better already.
- Continue with self care appointments. Eye DR in January, dentist in March, physical in July, and OBGYN in October.
- Stop buying sunglasses. Seriously. I always think I will find some new magic pair I love for a brand new me but when in reality I’ve been reaching for my Ray Ban aviators for a decade and they are the only ones I truly love.
- Deal with our disatoruous family photo situation. This one makes me sweat profoundly when I actually stop to think about it. I’m trusting in my iPhone and laptop and backup way too much. It’s time to get some actual real physical family year books made. This is a big undertaking and is on my to do list before spring break hits. Wish me luck.
- Stop buying candles that are not Volcano or from the White Barn Candle company. Those are the ones I love and are big and strong enough to fill my whole first floor. The cute one wick ones don’t cut it and I end up storing candles I never ever use. Silly.
- Work on a ‘donation center’ for my home. I believe there needs to be a place we can go in our homes to place items that we no longer need. Then once a month it’s a simple trip to Good Will or a close friend or relative that would benefit from some grown out good stuff.
- I’d like to paint my laundry room. A pretty feiminie pink. I’m in there daily! It should make me happy.
- Try and get my sleeping issues under control. I think there are many factors contributing (horomones, snoring (him, not me ahem), etc) and something needs to change. I need to do some serious research, reach out to my doctor, and figure this one out.
- Continue with Orange Theory. I’ve been going 3-5 times per week since mid September and I’ve honestly felt in the best most confident shape of my life. My clothes have never fit better.
- Along those lines, I need to be way better about stretching. I’m realizing I’m not 25 anymore, apparently I can just go run three miles super fast. My calves currently hate me and I need to be nicer to them.
- Continue to read. I’m at a stage of my life where I am able to carve out a little time here and there. Also choosing to go read in bed over watching Bravo always seems to be the smart decision for me. Anyone have any good suggestions? The Woman in Cabin 10 is first on my list.
- Really really figure out my closet situation. I’ve made some serious progress but I’m working on building a top ten stock item list. Items I have loved for years, make me happy to wear, and I reach for over and over again. These fundamentals are what I want to build my closet around.
- We still own (and rent out) the Townhome we lived in after we got married. We kept it for awhile because we had to as we couldn’t afford to take the loss. But now it’s just sort of a major headache. It’s in my planner to meet with our realtor in February for a plan to list it in the spring.
- I need to solve the problem of all. the. charging. cords. in our home. They are currently in one big giant knot. So effective! (Eye roll). I have a fun idea for this one.
- Also on the tech side, remove all family iPhones from cases and wipe down weekly with tech wipes. This needs to be a consistent routine because, EW.
- This one has been on my heart for awhile. This year I want to truly devote time to building friendships with parents of Beckett’s friends. We were so good about doing this for Logan, so good that we sort of found our posse and easily fell into a routine of seeing those friends we find dear and love over and over again. So much good has come out of this, Beckett has grown up with those boys and he truly believes Logan’s friends are his friends. And for the most point, they are. But he needs to find his own strong posse as well, and we need to help foster that and build those sacred relationships. Next year all those older boys go to middle school! My heart.
- Continue my love affair with 90’s rap. Because it’s everything.
- Enjoy and use my garden more this year. To be honest Mike sort of took on this project and was super into it and while I appreciated it for some reason (ok, baseball) I didn’t use it to full potential. Crazy! That changes this year.
- Start an Instagram Page for Logan’s travel baseball team. I think I’m going to have a loooooooot of fun with this one and will be sure to share with anyone that wants to follow along a pretty darling kickass baseball team. I’m just saying.
- Get some design and function updates done on my website. It needs a little love, I’m aware of its problems and I know I need to make the time to fix them so things are easier, for you!
- Figure out my pantry situation. I don’t have a great space with the current kitchen I’m in, but there is room to make it way more effective than it is. Starting with a top 10 pantry stock item list for my family.
- I’m working on a new meal plan routine for this year that I can’t WAIT to share with you! (Hint, that happens Sunday, stay tuned). Meal planning is one of the most interacted topics on my social media platforms so I’m constantly searching for ways to make it more simple and interesting for you all. I think this is going to be a hit, at least for my family! And I hope yours as well.
Well that’s a wrap for my 2018 brainstorming, thank you for reading. I’m feeling pretty ‘Up Beat’ about this 2018 year. (Always helps to start things off in Mexico). I hope it’s a wonderful year for you and yours!
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
I hope your sleep levels out this year. Seriously. Sleeping is the only difference between whether or not I tear people’s throats out (hypothetically) the next day. I need it more than wine. And that’s saying A LOT.
Oh, and amen to Orangetheory. I will continue to have a love/hate relationship with those classes for as long as I can tolerate!
Cheers to 2018!!
Tia @ Forever Orchard recently posted…A Typical Morning Convo
I’m with you on the sleep thing. I’m so bummed because I used to be SUCH A GOOD SLEEPER! I don’t know what happened. I’m probably just getting old, ha.
First, you look amazing. Second, thank you for sharing … a much needed inspiration to get my own list in gear I’ve been totally reluctant to put pen to paper this year. The key to the reusable bags is to never take them out of your car trunk – when you unload groceries leave them on the handle to the garage or mudroom door so you have to put them back in immediately too. And for the pictures- DO IT. I used to think it was just my own satisfaction but my kids pull out all our albums (organized as yearbooks) and flip through them all the time!
You so kind all around – thank you! And thank you for the encouragement about the photos. I so KNOW I need to do it. It’s just going to be one of those projects that is a gigantic pain. But worth it in the end!
#13: I am no real estate agent, so can’t vouch for this, but someone once told me that listing your house in Winter makes it sell more quickly. Why? Apparently people who go look at houses in our god-awful weather are serious buyers, and there are generally fewer properties to choose from. Just a thought. Good luck with your impressive list!
Huh – thanks for sharing! I will have to check with my real estate agent about how she feels about this. Our town home is by water, so, it does have much more of an ‘appeal’ in the spring/summer months when we can play that up 🙂
Sleep situation– I think his snoring is the major culprit (I am in the same boat). It’s like having a newborn and waking up several times per night. Really frustrating and not easy to fix.
I like your #16 goal– so important, and again not very easy to accomplish but totally worth it.
#15- why take off phone cases? I have been wiping the phones with the cases on. I also wipe the phone screens because we touch them all the time. Once I start thinking about everything that we touch, I want to grab a Clorox wipe and go over everything– purse straps, belt buckles!
Mila recently posted…Poblano and Shrimp Chowder | A new favorite way to make soup
You’re so right! It’s totally like having a newborn waking you up – not cool.
I just feel like even behind the phone cases the phones can get grimy. Want to clean the whole case and the phone 🙂