I had the most beautiful dinner the other night, courtesy of Dinner A Love Story.
I’ve mentioned them from time to time around here as I love the blog. A few weeks ago they were doing a giveaway for the cookbook Buvette and I won! This was exceptionally exciting to me as I never win anything and hey, I got a new cookbook to add to the rotation. Fun all around.
My first recipe to try? Hands down the roast chicken salad. Every single ingredient listed I loved with a passion so I knew it would be a win. Huge bonus that M was out of town and I had a girlfriend coming by for dinner. This is the perfect dish to serve for a girls night in, book club lunch, dinner on the patio, Mother’s Day…I could go on and on. Another perfect one platter dinner for your summer repertoire.
In the cookbook it walks you through the process of roasting the chicken yourself, which you are welcome to do. To keep things simple though I picked one up at Heinens on my way home from baseball. I had the veggies all washed, cooked, and prepped from earlier in the day. The vinaigrette was already all whisked up and chilling in the fridge, so it took me all of 5 minutes to platter up. Not bad, considering how beautiful it was and I had spent the prior 3 hours cheering for the Cubs and chasing B through the yard.
One day maybe I’ll make it to the oh so charming restaurant in the West Village of New York. Until then, this platter will more than suffice.
Thank you, Jenny!
- 8 small fingerling potatoes
- Coarse salt
- 2 large handfuls haricots verts, ends trimmed
- 4 large handfuls of lovely salad greens. I used a mix of butter lettuce, endive, and red leaf lettuce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 1 small roast chicken (still warm)
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) peas
- 2 large shallots, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 TBS champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup evoo
- 1 TBS water
- pinch sugar
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 TBS whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water, add a spoonful of salt and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the potatoes and set them aside to cool. Add the haricots verts to the cooking water and cook until just tender, roughly 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Arrange the greens on a large platter and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pour a bit of the dressing over them. Slice up the potatoes thinly (I kept mine whole!) and add to the platter along with the radishes, haricots verts, and peas. Pull off the meat from the (warm) chicken and arrange on top and drizzle remaining dressing. Killer.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.