They say to eat the rainbow and my goodness do these rainbow spring rolls accomplish just that. Packed with fresh green herbs, red pepper, purple cabbage, orange carrots, and more I think at this point all we are missing is the color blue.
Look, homemade spring rolls aren’t really the way I typically roll. (Pun intended). They aren’t kid friendly (if your kids will eat these please don’t tell me that). They aren’t husband friendly (again, just don’t tell me). They are a bit tedious and require some patience and well…they are a project.
A project that I was so aching for on day three of our awesome (and by awesome I mean awful) spring days. I was dying for some sunshine and 60 degrees and since that was not happening anytime soon I resolved to take out my frustrations over where we live (why, why) in the kitchen.
Peel peel peel, slice slice slice, chop chop chop.
It always helps me. Always.
In the end not only did I make one of the most magnificent lunches I’ve ever eaten but I had fun playing with the rainbow in the meantime and my day did seem just a bit brighter.
That is, until baseball was canceled (again) and I was stuck inside the home (again) with two rowdy boys.
Spring…..hello? Are you there? We’d really like you to come out and play, please.
- Spring roll wrappers (found in the refrigerated section of the store)
- Cooked shrimp (roughly 10 or so)
- Cucumber, very thinly sliced
- Carrots, very thinly sliced
- Red pepper, very thinly sliced
- Purple cabbage,very thinly sliced
- Mint, torn
- Cilantro, torn
- Peanut sauce for dipping (found in the Asian section)
- Thin rice noodles (optional)
- Prep all your veggies and herbs.
- Cook spring roll wrappers and rice noodles, if using, according to package directions. For the spring roll wrappers (they come hard I just dipped them very lightly in warm/hot water for a minute or so to soften and then laid on my countertops (quartz).
- Then, bundle your herbs and veggies on 1/3 of the wrapper and top with two shrimp. Roll, very tightly and gently, until sealed.
- Serve with peanut sauce for dipping.