The moment I saw this My Big Fat Greek Salad recipe, I knew I would be in love. All I had to do was wait for a night M was traveling and it was so going to happen.
See, it’s basically all my favorite things thrown on to a salad: you’ve got romaine lettuce, olives, cherry tomatoes, peppers, grilled chicken all tossed up with a greek dressing that is used both as a marinade for the chicken and to dress the salad.
All that was missing was cucumbers, which, the recipe called for but someone forgot to grab one at the store even though it was on the list.
Don’t you hate that?
Like, it’s ON THE LIST. That is why you MAKE THE LIST. Every time prior to check out I go item by item, make sure I grabbed it, and then proceed to check out. I did this and did not come back home with a cucumber.
I swear, kids made me dumber. Literally. I used to consider myself an actual kind of intelligent person but mom brain never really faded with me. Or it could be the fact that B was half hanging on the cart half hanging on the cart while smearing a doughnut all over his shirt, trying to grab a bag of popcorn, and asking for gum all at the same time. Just a tad distracting.
Oh well, I can still make a killer salad. On an evening that might just have been the most perfect 70 degree and sunny evening. I had my cooking playlist going on the deck, B was hitting balls, L was working away at football, and the chicken was on the grill. It was a great night to photograph and eat something nice and light and healthy that made you feel full and satisfied in all the right ways.
Huge bonus that the jeans slid on pretty darn easy in the morning.
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast strips
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 large cucumber (don't forget!), chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers
- 2 TBS flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup evoo
- 2 TBS dried oregano leaves (I used fresh)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients and whisking together. Pour half over the chicken to marinade, reserve half to dress the salad.
- Let the chicken hang out - at least 20 minutes or so, and up to 4 hours.
- Prepare a grill over medium high heat. Grill chicken strips roughly 3-4 minutes per side, let cool, and slice into chunks.
- Shred up your romaine and top with olives, tomatoes, chicken, peppers, cucumbers, onion, parsley and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Pour remaining dressing over it all and toss together.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017