When I heard the title of the Pioneer Woman’s brownie recipe I couldn’t help but chuckle. I watched her make these ooey gooey creations while wiping the drool that began to run down my chin. These looked GOOD.
Although, that title. I don’t know about you, but the last thing on my mind after devouring a thick calorie ridden brownie is ‘time to take off my clothes.’ But, perhaps that’s just me – maybe you’ll have better luck. And with Valentine’s Day right around the corner I thought I’d give you hand – maybe these could be just the trick you need. (Wink wink).
The recipe calls for a premade cake mix which I KNOW I KNOW is everything I go against but with the addition of extra ingredients and the way these brownies are layered and baked I promise you there is not one trace of a boxed mix taste. Whew. Catastrophe avoided!
- 1 18.5 box german chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (additional)
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 60 whole caramels
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat over to 350 degrees and grease a 9X9 pan.
- In a larger bowl mix together cake mix, chopped pecans, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and butter. Half the amount of dough. Take the first half and press into your greased pan. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, just until the dough has set.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramels and additional 1/2 cup evaporated milk on the stove until smooth using a double boiler or a glass bowl over simmering water.
- Pour the caramel over the set dough. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Oh my.
- Take the remaining dough and dump it onto a cool working surface and form roughly a 8X8 square. Use a spatula to help get it off the counter and on top of the caramel/chocolate chops.
- Bake for an additional 20 - 25 minutes. Bring to room temperature.
- Now, the difficult part. Refrigerate for a few hours. I know, I know...NOT FAIR! I promise you though, don't attempt to cut these bad boys until you have let them set in the fridge. They won't be pretty.
- Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve away!
Verdict…clothes on or off?