So, I have a slight confession to make. I am OBSESSED with Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups. I don’t even want to come close to admitting how many I have consumed lately. And when my dear friend Lindsay texted me a few days ago that they were out I almost cried. Real tears. WHAT???? HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO ME???? DON’T THEY KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE AND NEED THEM???
Continuing along with that rational line of thinking, I decided a back up plan was surely needed for times as such. I began my research and stumbled upon peanut butter cup bars. I frantically ran to the store to pick up the ingredients needed and quickly whipped them up at home. As Usher says, O.M.G. These are ridiculously good. And way too easy to be as good as they are. Two steps and we’re done? It’s almost unfair. Almost.
So they are currently sitting all perfectly cut and chilled in my fridge. I’ve had 3. And 1/2. And I want more. I’m telling you – intervention! Hi, I’m Courtney. I’m oddly obsessive about the combination of peanut butter + dark chocolate and am consuming them on seriously unhealthy levels. Please erase my memory of this recipe completely. Ah, but it’s in writing now…
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- Line an 8X8 inch square pan with foil, leaving enough to hang over the sides, then butter the foil.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the 1/2 cup of butter over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs until completely combined. Spread the peanut butter mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the 1/4 cup unsalted butter completely. Remove from heat and add in the chocolate and continue stirring until smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over the peanut butter layer and smooth completely.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a cutting board and cut into 16 even pieces. Attempt to not eat more than 1.
It’s NOT possible!