Oh my heavens. With Valentines day tomorrow I wanted to make a special homemade treat for the boys. We have a serious love affair with peanut butter over here (we each consume it in some form daily) so I knew these homemade peanut butter cups would be a rich and delicious treat for the lovely day that is 2/14.
I whipped them up Sunday morning fairly easily. You create a chocolate mixture and a creamy peanut butter mixture and layer them up. I finished them with coarse sea salt and a few red sprinkles to keep things festive.
The verdict? Um, I pretty much had to hide these. And failed so now have to make another batch for tomorrow as we are completely out, whoops. They were decadent and rich and smooth and creamy. Everything a treat should be on Valentines Day.
Make this for your sweetie, cutie, lover, friend. Any and all would appreciate them, promise.
Happy Valentines! xoxox
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 TBS butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- Combine 1/2 cup peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, butter and salt until smooth.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips, candy bars and remaining peanut butter; stir until smooth.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of chocolate mixture into paper-lined mini muffin cups. Drop a small teaspoonful of peanut butter mixture into each cup; top with another teaspoonful of chocolate mixture. If desired, decorate with sprinkles. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container (or keep in the fridge as we like to do).