If you’re anything like me, you’ve been grabbing that yellow can of pre-made enchilada sauce for years. Was there ever another option?
Well, yes. Actually yes there was.
Stumbling upon this recipe over at Gimme Some Oven changed the game for me. She suggested making your own homemade enchilada sauce, which seemed a bit crazy in my mind until I finally did it. Before school. While feeding both boys breakfast. And getting them dressed. And lunches made. And backpacks packed. And teeth brushed. And getting myself dressed(ish). And packing snow pants, hats, gloves, shoes. And warming up the car.
You get the picture.
It was that easy and made such a difference. Totally worth the 5 minutes it took to throw together, as it gave the recipe an instant authentic feel.
What to use with this deliciousness? Well, here are just a few ideas:
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute. Stir in the remaining seasonings. Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick. Smells so good!
- Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- C’s picks – week of December 17th - December 17, 2017
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017