Alright. This is post number 2 for my dinner in a snap series! Fresh, quick, healthy meals for that craziness that is back to school activities and sports. Whew. Who is with me?
First up, we had chicken chilaquiles which were unreal. Next up? I give you sausage heroes. Seriously, they are my hero is so many ways. Here’s how I’m breaking it down.
Not bad, not bad. Especially for grilling the sausages (although you could just as easily roast them). During this time, I was also helping B build a lego football stadium (ummmmm) and talking with M about his travel schedule. Oh, and drinking wine. Obviously. #multitasking
The verdict: A win, all around. Both L and B gobbled up the entire sandwich (ok, ok, minus the tomatoes, but they ate the fresh basil and cheese!). M and I devoured the entire thing.
Tips and tricks: If your significant other is home and you’re not, have them get the grill going or the oven preheating for you. The time above includes the 5 minutes or so our gas grill takes to heat up. I made the marinade of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and balsamic before football. Also, these sandwiches would be amazing wrapped up in foil and served on the go, if needed. Think soccer field, standing the hallway at dance class, chess club, boy scouts, lacrosse… whatever your fancy.
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 4 good rolls, split
- handful of cherry tomatoes, diced
- one good ball of mozzarella diced up
- fresh basil, chopped
- drizzle of balsamic and olive oil
- Preheat your grill to medium heat or your oven to 425. Grill for 10 minutes or so (roasting may take a bit longer - 15 minutes or so).
- Remove sausages from grill and let rest a minute or so. Split open and pour the marinade of tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, balsamic and olive oil over each one.