The other day I was casually strolling through Heinen’s, picking out the perfect bulb of garlic when BAM!
A woman – like, an adult! – sneezed ON B. I almost froze, like did this really just happen?
To top it off, she was wearing scrubs. Like, hospital scrubs. Thanks for infecting him with whatever crazy illnesses you were a part of today. Awesome.
Look, if you’re anything like me, you’ve had it with these germs. We had an awesome run, I really shouldn’t complain; but then too many weeks were filled with too many pediatrician visits, too many antibiotics (hate those things), too many sleepless nights (zzzzz), and too many of our dear friends sick. Not cool.
I decided to attempt another action plan for my family. I do my best to keep everyone healthy with proper sleep + food + exercise + vitamin + flu shot. It’s a great start, for sure. But the bugs this year are relentless, and obviously our basic plan is just not cutting it.
That’s when I did a little research and decided to come up with the healthiest chicken noodle soup I could possibly make. This one has it all: antibacterial, antiviral, antioxidant, and anti-parasitic ginger, vitamin C, vitamin B6, selenium and manganese packed garlic, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial packed lemongrass, and lastly, anti-inflammatory antioxidant packed turmeric. All brightened up in a freshly chopped parsley and big squeeze of zesty lemon juice package.
Hey, with the flu shot only being 20% effective this year (really? really?), I’m going to go out on a limb and say this might even protect you better. And if you still end up sick (I’m so sorry), nothing will appeal to you more then a big bubbling bowl of this. Tea, a fire, and pj’s on the side.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions (about 1/2 of a medium)
- 3/4 cup sliced leeks (about 1 medium, white and light green parts only)
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass (or paste)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups chicken stock (I ended up using a bit more, and increased seasonings as well)
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (rotisserie chicken is great)
- squeeze of 1 lemon
- 1 cup whole wheat egg noodles
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat a TBS of oil in a dutch oven/soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, leeks, carrots and celery and saute until softened, roughly 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, lemongrass, garlic, and turmeric and stir until fragrant. Season with salt & pepper.
- Pour in your stock and chicken and simmer together to blend flavors. Squeeze in one lemon and taste to adjust seasonings accordingly. I used a good amount of salt and pepper and added a touch more lemongrass.
- Right before serving, add noodles until soft. Pour into deep bowls and top with freshly chopped parsley.