Woo hoo – it’s time to wrap up our first cookie contest! Thank you to ALL who submitted recipes, it was quite difficult choosing only 3 finalists. The last recipe was submitted by Nancy T. Just look at these adorable browned butter meltaway cookies…! They remind me of little puffy igloos, so festive.
My mom makes a mean meltaway cookie so originally I was going to shy away from this recipe because we’ve got it covered, but something about the browned butter just kept pulling me back in. Browned butter is just so…lux.
So, we got to baking. And fell in love all over again. Great recipe Nancy! Stayed tuned to my Facebook page – tomorrow I will be announcing the winner. For those of you who missed them, here is finalist #1 and finalist #2.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 TBS confectioners' sugar, plus up to 1 more cup for dusting, as needed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- A few hours before you wish to bake the cookies, make the brown butter.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the solids separate and brown to a dark golden color, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool at room temperature, and then chill it in the refrigerator until it is solid.
- Using a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the brown butter on medium speed until cream-colored, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle. Add the 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar and the salt.
- Cream on medium speed until it is smooth and lump free, about 1 minute.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
- On low speed, add the flour. Beat until just incorporated. Do not overbeat.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle. Remove the dough from the mixer, wrap it in plastic film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Adjust the rack to the lower third of the oven.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Flour your hands. Pinch off pieces of dough and roll them into 1-inch balls.
- Place the balls 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 12 to 15 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges, turning the sheet front to back halfway through the baking.
- Do not overbake, or your cookies will be too dry and crisp.
- As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, cover them completely with confectioners’ sugar. The best way to do this is to place the powdered sugar in a strainer and tap it over the cookies on the baking sheet.
- Let the cookies cool completely before removing them from the baking sheets and serving.